Lately, gratitude for undeserved blessings has been on my mind, as has the realization that so much of what I enjoy in my life is due to the unearned good fortune and privilege of where in the world I happened to be born.
I tried to express some of my thoughts in a Facebook status update this weekend, saying, “Spent a lazy morning under the covers finishing a re-read of one of my favourite cozy feel-good winter books, and am now sitting in my warm office enjoying a hot mug of coffee as huge fluffy snowflakes fall, soft and silent, from the sky. Peace. Beauty. Contentment. I did nothing to deserve these moments, and am grateful to be so blessed.”
I hope and pray that I never take this goodness for granted… and that it gives me compassion for those going through undeserved hardships based solely on where in the world they happened to be born.
In no particular order, here is my own gratitude list for this moment in time. I hope that after reading it you’ll go on to write and share your own!
- The roof over my head and a house full of comfort, sustenance, enjoyment, and love.
- Hot water for showers, sweet-smelling products to cleanse, and soft towels for drying off.
- My love of reading, nurtured since childhood, and the opportunity now as an adult to revisit some of my most beloved (but long-lost) books in an electronic format.
- Being taught further skills at another great drawing class this week.
- Living in a safe, peaceful country.
- New album releases by favourite musicians.
- Our wonderful friends at our favourite diner, who just celebrated their fifth anniversary of being in business.
- Getting my (free!) flu shot, and having to deal with relatively mild effects for only a short time (far better than not getting the shot and possibly having to deal with the flu).
- So much free time to read, draw, blog, nap…
Now it’s your turn!
How to get involved in the Gratitude Linkup
Note: This linkup will be open for the entire month, so feel free to add as many gratitude posts as you choose to write in November!
- Write and post a gratitude list in your own blog.
- Click the “add your link” button below and share your gratitude post.
- Click “get the InLinkz code” below and add the linkup code to your post.
- Visit and comment on some of the posts listed in the Gratitude Linkup.
P.S. – Here’s some background on why I started the Gratitude Linkup.