Sometimes I forget just how privileged and blessed I am to enjoy so many things which I often take for granted as being basic parts of everyday life, yet which many others in this world either don’t have or must struggle to obtain. I forget, and I grumble when things don’t go my way… and am immediately humbled when reminded just how fortunate I am. So today’s gratitude list is about stepping back to take a look at some of those “basics” and focus on giving thanks.
In no particular order, here is my own gratitude list for this moment in time. I hope that after reading it you’ll go on to write and share your own!
- Living in a peaceful part of the world where I am free to come and go as I please with little or no fear of danger or violence.
- Reliable access to fresh, clear, running water for drinking, bathing, and cleaning – with no more physical effort required on my part than the twist of a tap or the flush of a toilet.
- Earning a salary that’s sufficient to pay the bills, put food on the table, entertain ourselves, and even buy some extras.
- Having a more than ample amount of clothes, shoes, and even accessories and therefore never having to worry about whether I’ll have anything to wear.
- Living in a country that provides its citizens with access to excellent publicly-funded health care.
- Enjoying the additional benefit of extended medical and dental coverage through my employer.
- The support and friendship of my employer and co-workers.
- Having a job while living in a city with a high rate of unemployment.
- Being able to work from home, eliminating the need to commute to the office.
- Being able to work part-time, giving me additional time to pursue outside interests.
- Owning a comfortable, spacious home that’s warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Owning a reliable, fuel-efficient vehicle and never having to worry about how to get from place to place.
- Having access to the internet.
- The convenience of a multitude of electronic gadgets – laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle…
- Hours of entertainment on our shelves full of books, music, and movies.
- Having access to borrow even more books, music, and movies – as many as I could possibly want – for free, through our public library system.
- Enjoying great physical health in spite of not always taking the very best care of myself.
Now it’s your turn!
How to get involved in the Gratitude Linkup
Note: This linkup will be open for the entire month, so feel free to add as many gratitude posts as you choose to write in August!
- Write and post a gratitude list in your own blog.
- Click the “add your link” button below and share your gratitude post.
- Click “get the InLinkz code” below and add the linkup code to your post.
- Visit and comment on some of the posts listed in the Gratitude Linkup.
P.S. – Here’s some background on why I started the Gratitude Linkup.