≡ Menu

The (first) Big Day

Today began with a 4:30 a.m. wakeup (what, who needs more than four hours of sleep?!), was spent largely at the hospital, and will end when I head to bed just as soon as this is posted. It has been a long, wearisome period of waiting, reading, listening to various groups of loud, obnoxious people airing their political viewpoints for the whole room to hear, waiting, eating lousy cafeteria food, wishing I could sleep, waiting, worrying, being disappointed, waiting, feeling very alone, and being tremendously relieved to see my husband’s tired but smiling face.

He came through his first surgery successfully and is now sleeping in a ward (we’ve requested a semi-private room, but it depends on whether or not one comes available – if it does, he’ll be moved). His operation took an exceptionally long time because apparently the pin from his artificial hip was really embedded in the bone and took ages to pry loose. I haven’t seen the new wound, but apparently it’s quite significant. 🙁

The disappointment came when I met with the surgeon after the operation was complete. We hadn’t said anything to anyone apart from family, but we’d been told last week that there was a possibility that the surgery might be less invasive than we’d originally thought and might not require removal of his existing prosthesis – which would mean a much shorter recovery time and no second surgery. Which direction the surgeon took was entirely dependent on what he found when he went in. Unfortunately, he discovered that the infection was still present to the extent that he had no choice but to carry out the revision as originally planned.

It’s hard to maintain a balance between being hopeful and getting your hopes up. We may have erred too far in the wrong direction… thus, disappointment.

But I am relieved that the surgery was a success, and that even though he was incredibly tired when I left him he’d already made the nurses crack up several times with his offbeat sense of humour. (One of them said she was actually disappointed that her shift was ending – “I always have to leave when the fun patients come in!”)

As for me, I am done for the day and am heading to bed. Hopefully tomorrow, when I’ve had a chance to catch up on some much-needed sleep, I’ll be able to write something a little more coherent and upbeat!


Laurel Storey, CZT – Certified Zentangle Teacher. Writer, reader, tangler, iPhoneographer, cat herder, learner of French and Italian, crocheter, needle felter, on-and-off politics junkie, 80s music trivia freak, ongoing work in progress.

{ 6 comments… add one }
  • Winnie September 24, 2012

    I am glad your hubby came through the surgery ok. Sorry for the stress, but it sounds like he got very good care, and a good doctor/surgeon. Take care of you..Get some rest…

  • Corinne Rodrigues
    September 24, 2012

    It’s always so traumatic to wait outside when your loved one is in surgery. I’m glad he came through the surgery – despite the disappointment. I do believe that patients who use humor heal faster and I hope the same is the case with your husband. Take care of yourself too.
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted… Clear And Simple Writing: Use Fewer WordsMy Profile

  • Anne September 25, 2012

    I understand and know how you feel. I remember when my husband had to go to the hospital for surgery; my mind was a constant blank and all I could say was “let everything go well.” I’m sure you and your husband will get past this. Hope you get some rest.
    Anne recently posted… Into the wide wild worldMy Profile


Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next post:

Previous post:

%d bloggers like this: