I have written about it before, several times… my own less traveled path.
My life changed dramatically back in October of 2011 when we left Victoria and moved across the country to Windsor, yet we settled in to our new home so quickly and well that now it’s strange to think we’ve been here only two years!
Despite the fact that it could have all gone so wrong, it didn’t… as it turned out, the less traveled path was the right one for us to take.
Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself just how very different things are for me these days.
- I’m living in a brand new city, in another province, in a whole different part of the country.
- My home is a very old, fully detached house, not a newer townhouse or condo.
- My immediate family is some 4,000 km away from me.
- My co-workers and old friends are also some 4,000 km away from me.
- For the first time in a couple of decades I no longer work full-time.
- My workspace is a room in my home, instead of a downtown Victoria office shared with my co-workers.
- I am writing every day.
- I am taking better care of myself by making good food choices and getting enough sleep.
- I am losing weight and starting to feel better about myself.
- I am spending less money on frivolous, unnecessary things.
- I have had far more opportunities to travel and expand my horizons.
- I have more energy and enthusiasm and hope for new ventures and possibilities.
- I have a new circle of friends – an amazing group – and connecting with them wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.
- I am happier, more content, and excited about the future.
Several people wondered why on earth we a) chose to leave Victoria, and b) chose to move to Windsor, of all places… but despite the physical distance between me and my loved ones and old friends, moving here was the absolute best decision we could have made.
I feel a tremendous sense of empowerment and strength, because WOW… we did this! We identified issues that needed to be dealt with, came up with solutions to address those issues, put a plan in place, and, most importantly, successfully executed our plan.
If we can do this, we can do anything!
The other day my husband told a friend that it’s like suddenly we’re in the springtime of our lives.
He’s right. And I wouldn’t change it for anything.
(Adapted from a March, 2012 post in Alphabet Salad.)
Inspired by NaBloPoMo writing prompt for Wednesday, December 11, 2013:
Tell us about a time you took the less traveled path.