As I mentioned the other day, I’m planning on tackling some of the writing prompts that have been prepared for this month’s NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) challenge theme of Connect. I thought today’s question was rather interesting, and would love to hear your thoughts on it as well!
What do you think makes people connect with a post or a blog in general?
Well, I can’t really speak for anyone else, but I can tell you a few of the things that, combined, entice me to want to connect with someone via their blog.
- An engaging writing style that draws me in, makes me want to read more, and moves me in some way (perhaps to laugh, to think, or to act).
- Topics that interest, help, or speak to me.
- Consistent attention to detail such as spelling, punctuation, grammar, formatting, layout, and effective use of graphic elements. I believe that presentation is just as important as the words themselves, as a sloppy, mistake-filled post can actually distract the reader away from what the writer is trying to say (if not away from the blog entirely).
- A sense of sincerity and authenticity, where it’s clear that posts are a true expression of the writer’s personality and outlook.
- A voice that communicates honesty, openness, and vulnerability without crossing over into off-putting TMI territory. (It’s a fine balance!)
So there you have it! Looking back at that list, it seems as though whole posts could be written about each of those items – I might just have to explore some of them in future!
In the meantime, though, I can pretty much guarantee that your list will be completely different from mine. So tell me all about it.
What makes you connect with a post or a blog?