After yesterday’s Meatless Monday foray into the world of Portobello Mushroom Burgers, and the subsequent discovery that I am not so much a fan of Portobello Mushroom burgers, I started thinking about some of the other foods and flavours that don’t particularly appeal to me. There really aren’t all that many – I’m not a very picky eater (much to the peril of my waistline!) – but there are definitely some tastes that I don’t much like and will go out of my way to avoid.
So I think it’s time for another list!
My Food Dislike List
(ranging from “blech!” to “don’t prefer” and everything in between)
- Spearmint. It’s fairly low on the dislike scale, but I had to add it to the list as I really don’t care for the taste of it. I do love peppermint and wintergreen, though.
- Durian. I had this once. You know that swampy fluid that collects in the bottom of your kitchen garbage pail when the bag springs a leak? And how that liquid smells? That’s what durian tastes like to me. *shudder*
- Liver. No. Just, NO. Unless it’s in the form of highly spiced pâté, I absolutely refuse to touch it, and as a matter of fact, don’t even want to sit next to you if you’re planning to touch it.
- Cilantro/coriander. I can handle a very, very, very little bit. I don’t like it, but I can handle it. Any more than a very, very, very little bit has the potential to ruin a perfectly good meal.
- Any tea containing even a hint of rooibos. I don’t know what it is about rooibos, but it actually makes me feel a little queasy.
- Lapsang Souchong tea. Want to read a vintage 2009 Alphabet Salad post all about Lapsang Souchong? Here you go.
- Eel. It’s the texture. And the thought that it’s a little bit like a snake.
- Octopus. Texture, once again. But for whatever reason I do like squid.
- Dark chocolate. I want to like it… I really do… but it’s just too bitter for me. I’ll take milk chocolate every time.
- Beer. Do not like.
- Rabbit. Whoever claims that rabbit tastes “just like chicken” is wrong, wrong, wrong. Because it really, really, really doesn’t taste anything like chicken.
- Escargot. To be fair, I’ve never actually tried escargot. And I won’t. I have a pathological fear of slugs, and as far as I’m concerned snails are just fancy slugs. I don’t care how much butter and garlic sauce you soak them in, it’s not gonna happen.
So really, that’s not too many dislikes, is it? It doesn’t look like I’m in danger of malnourishment anytime soon!
How about you? What foods or flavours do you dislike?