You might recall that toward the end of 2015 I shared my 2016 Word of the Year – Progress – and followed up at the start of January with an explanation of a project I’d conceived to help me put the word into action in the new year. My introduction to The 50 by 50 Project was as follows:
The 50 by 50 Project is a list of 50 things I want to accomplish in the coming year: things I need to do, things I want to do, things I keep saying I’m going to do but never quite get around to it, things that will make me a better person, things that will get me out of the house more, things that will help me get my house in order.
Some of the things on my list are big, ongoing, and challenging while others are short, sweet, and easily accomplished. Some are serious, others are frivolous. Some are tedious, others are a delight. All are realistic, doable, and life-enhancing.
The intent of the project isn’t to somehow attain perfection by the age of 50 (if that were even possible!); rather, as Peter suggested when I explained the project to him, to hit the ground running when I reach that milestone, happy and healthy and ready for a vibrant, fulfilling life to come.
I wrapped up the post by committing to write a monthly “Progress Report” (usually toward the end of each month) with updates on how my 50 by 50 Project is progressing.
The 50 by 50 Project: Progress Report #4
(Comments for January 2016 are in blue)
(Comments for February 2016 are in pink)
(Comments for March 2016 are in green)
(Comments for April 2016 are in purple)
Ongoing (until complete!)
- Lose 50 pounds.
- 7.1 lbs lost as of 2016-01-25.
- 5.5 lbs lost in February, total 12.6 lbs lost to date in 2016.
- 6.6 lbs lost in March, total 19.2 lbs lost to date in 2016.
- 4.4 lbs lost in April, total 23.6 lbs lost to date in 2016.
- Read 50 books for the 2016 Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge.
- 5 books finished in January, 3 currently on the go.
- 8 books finished in February, 3 currently on the go, total 13 finished to date in 2016.
- 8 books finished in March, 4 currently on the go, total 21 finished to date in 2016.
- 4 books finished in April, 5 currently on the go, total 25 finished to date in 2016.
- Within my 50 books read, include one from each of the 24 categories in the Read Harder Challenge 2016.
- 5 books finished in January, 2 currently on the go.
- 5 books finished in February, 1 currently on the go, total 10 finished to date in 2016.
- 1 book finished in March, 2 currently on the go, total 11 finished to date in 2016.
- 0 books finished in April, 2 currently on the go, total 11 finished to date in 2016.
- Read and complete the exercises in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (book and workbook).
- Create art for a colouring book.
- Sketchbook purchased, 1 page finished in February.
- 2 pages finished in March, total 3 finished to date in 2016.
- 6 pages finished in April, total 9 finished to date in 2016.
- Purchase 12 (i.e., one per month) items from friends with online shops.
- Promote 12 (i.e., one per month) friends’ online shops on social media.
- Learn to play “Morning Has Broken” on the piano.
- Purchased sheet music for piano (which includes guitar chords as I’m hoping Peter will join me!).
- Make a video of me playing “Morning Has Broken” and upload the video to YouTube.
Buy and set up a bookshelf in my arts & crafts room.
- Purchased a bookshelf and am hoping to assemble it and get the room organized this weekend.
- Done! Assembled bookshelf and a new marker/paper organizer and tidied/organized the whole room.
- Display my art for sale in a public place.
- Organize my internet bookmarks.
- Organize my Flickr albums.
- Reorganize my iTunes music library.
Make a new $25 contribution to Kiva.
- Oops! I actually made my new contribution in March (to Grupo Las Cruces Santo Domingo Group), but completely missed noting it in last month’s update, so am adding it now.
- Started – winter stuff only so far.
Renew my passport.
- Planning to get the ball rolling by having passport photos taken this coming Monday.
- Done! Photos taken (predictably bad, but better than the previous one!), renewal application submitted, and new passport received a week later… so I’m good for another ten years!
Make a new will.
- Purchased a package and set up an account on Canadian Legal Wills, but haven’t yet completed any of the forms.
- Done! Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney, Ontario Living Will, and Funeral Wishes documents completed, printed, signed, witnessed, and filed away until needed (which will hopefully not be for several decades at least!).
Make a financial contribution to the Syrian Refugee Crisis. Set up a WEVolunteer profile and find a way to give back to my community.
- Done! Profile registered; currently considering a very intriguing volunteer opportunity and trying to decide if it’s something I’m willing and able to commit to completing.
Learn to draw ZenGems. Visit the Art Gallery of Windsor.
- Done! Had a really enjoyable time and will definitely return for a future visit.
Host a craft/project night for friends at my house.
- Scheduled for February.
- Done! And it was wonderful!
- Work with Peter to plan and set up a vegetable garden.
- Well, we’ve thought about it, and we’ve talked about it, but so far that’s the extent of it!
- We spent some time out in the back yard discussing and planning what we’ll be planting and where things will go.
Spend an afternoon taking photos of spring blossoms.
- They’re not here yet, but soon!
- Done! I had a glorious time out on my own taking in the beauty of the season and capturing it on camera.
- Done! I actually visited the park twice, once with Peter and once on my own as part of my spring blossom walk.
- Working on setting a date that suits everyone.
- I think we finally have a date that will work, so plans are now in place!
- Complete the training to become a Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT).
- Course tuition paid, flights booked, hotel room reserved.
- Have a logo designed.
- Have new business cards designed and printed.
- Create and launch a personal web site.
- Go to the beach and walk barefoot in the sand.
- Visit Uncle Tom’s Cabin Historic Site in Dresden.
- Visit Kingsville.
- Host a backyard barbecue for friends.
- Publish a colouring book.
- Teach a Zentangle class.
- Create a new design for a Christmas/holiday card.
- Spend an afternoon taking photos of fall foliage.
- Blog daily with NaBloPoMo (November).
- Send/give Christmas cards to family and friends.
- Find a cat-proof (or at least cat-resistant!) way to decorate the house for the holidays.
- Host a Christmas cookie decorating party for friends at my house.
- Spend an evening touring the city to look at Christmas lights.
- Gather with friends to celebrate New Year’s Eve and my 50th birthday.
- Slight change on this one – since people usually have other plans on New Year’s Eve, I’ve decided to have my birthday celebrations the next day (my actual birthday!). We’ll probably still do something small with a friend or two on New Year’s Eve as well, but my birthday party will be held the next day (and, in the spirit of following up on my 50 by 50 goals, I’ve already posted a note on Facebook requesting that people save the date!).
Thank you so much for reading, and I do hope you’ll return and follow along with my Progress – to keep me accountable, to offer support and encouragement, and to be inspired!
Are you with me?